June 1, 2012 in Diablo 3
Have you heard the rumors of the secret level containing rainbows, unicorns and teddy bears in Diablo III? I must say it is not just a rumor but actual truth. I have acquired the Staff of Herding, finally, over the course of 4 days of farming. I have decided to put up an all in one guide for all the locations and answer any questions there may be while farming, I know I sure had a lot of inquiries. Let’s start off with some basic information. The Staff of Herding is a staff which players can craft using Haedrig, the blacksmith. Be prepared for a lengthy grind and make sure you have plenty of water because you could be here for a few days.
To make the Normal Version of the Staff of Herding you are required to get 5 items and you will need a total of 150,000 gold to craft it.
While searching for all these items, you should have at least completed the entire act on normal difficultly and hopefully unlocked Nightmare Mode. It is not required to unlock Nightmare mode to obtain the normal staff, however I have found it a lot less painful to complete the entire story first and than go back. You should be going to NORMAL difficulty for all of these items, it expedites the process greatly. You could be resetting quests upwards of 60 times or more. I also have included a video walkthrough done by sillEScottgames on YouTube which you can watch at the end of the guide if you prefer.
1. Black Mushroom – Act 1 Cathedral Lvl 1,2 or 4.
The Black Mushroom was of mediocre difficulty to find.
1. Start the quest Return to New Tristram at the end of Act 1. Then use the waypoint and go to the Cathedral Garden.
2. Go up and to the right a little bit and enter Leoric’s Passage. You will arrive where we first saved Deckard Cain. Go up the stairs and go to Cathedral Level 1 of the Cathedral to start searching.
3. The Black Mushroom will be in a room by itself and does not always spawn. You may have to reset the quest a couple of times to find it. Others have reported finding the mushroom on levels 2 and 4 of the Cathedral as well, however I found mine on the 1st level. If you don’t find the mushroom on the first level, I would just save time and reset the quest and search again on level 1.
2. Leoric’s Shinebone – Act 1 Leoric’s Manor.
Leoric’s Shinbone was by far the easiest to find out of all the items.
1. Select the last quest of Act 1, Return to New Tristram and use the waypoint to go to Leoric’s Manor. Go right into the area where we first defeated cultists from Maghda and search for the Burnt Logs. The spawn location for this item is always the same and the fireplace will always be there. However, the burnt logs may not be there. Reset the quest and keep trying until you find it.
3. Wirt’s Bell – Act 2 Caldeum Bazaar.
Perhaps the easiest item to achieve, if you are rich, is Wirt’s Bell.
1. Go to Act 2 and head to the Caldeum Bazaar.
2. Find the little girl, Squirt the Peddler. She will sell the piece to you for 100,000G.
4. Liquid Rainbow – Act 2 Dahlgur Oasis.
The Liquid Rainbow ended up being a rather long grind for me.
1. To start, start the quest Blood and Sand in Act 2 and use the waypoint to go to Path to the Oasis. You can also choose to use the Dahlgur Oasis spawn point but I don’t recommend it because it spawns randomly all over the map and wastes time.
2. Once there, travel south east along the wall. You will find a small path leading to a clearing. If Zaven the Alchemist is not there you can keep traveling along the wall to the east until you find the other clearing, which will look exactly like the first one, as he has a chance to spawn there as well. To save time, if Zaven the Alchemist is not in the first passage that you come to, I advise you just reset the game and keep looking in the first spot. Note: I found him in the first clearing that you come to after spending hours checking both.
3. If Zaven the Alchemist is there, you will see Deathly Haunts and they must be killed before they kill Zaven. Should you succeed in saving him he will open the passage to the Mysterious Cave that contains the Liquid Rainbow.
4. Once inside the Mysterious Cave, look for the Mysterious Chest. While I found the chest immediately, it is possible the the chest may not always spawn. It usually spawns on the 1st level of the cave when it there. Thoroughly check the 1st level of the cave for this Mysterious Chest. It is NOT the same as the Resplendent chest, though they can both coexist in the same level. Once you find the Mysterious Chest, there is a 100% drop rate to get your Liquid Rainbow.
5. Gibbering Gemstone – Act 3 Fields of Slaughter.
The Gibbering Gemstone was by far the longest part of the search for me.
1. Start the quest Siegebreaker in Act 3 and use the waypoint to travel to The Bridge of Korsikk.
2. Begin searching the field for Caverns of Frost, NOT Icefall Caves. One cave or the other will spawn within the map and has around 3-5 different locations. If you find Icefall Caves, reset the game and try again because Chiltara only spawns in the Caverns of Frost.
3. If you find the Caverns of Frost, search for the second level of the cave and look for Chiltara. There are no reports of Chiltara spawning in the first level, so don’t waste your time looking.
4. Once you are in the 2nd level of the cave, search thoroughly for Chiltara, checking corners. It is possible for Chiltara to be underground and may only spawn when you walk over the area. I personally zigzagged through the caves to make sure to hit every area. Note: It is possible for Chiltara to spawn under ANY condition on level 2. There can be other unique monsters (yellow/purple) along with Chiltara on that level, so don’t let it discourage you if you start to see a pattern. If you don’t find Chiltara, you have to reset the game and try again.
6. Plan: Staff of Herding – Act 4 The Great Span.
Obtaining the plan required several restarts for me and took roughly about 2-4 minutes each run to get to Izual.
1. Begin the quest Prime Evil in Act 4 and use the waypoint to The Crystal Colonnade. Then head to the Gateway to the Silver Spire. Run past Leah’s Ghost and travel to The Silver Spire Level 1. Once in the Silver Spire Level 1, you need to travel through the level to get to The Great Span where you fight Izual.
2. Fight Izual and pray that the plans drop. If they don’t port to town and reset the game. I got my plans on my 9th Izual run.
Crafting the Staff of Herding.
Now that you have all the pieces, it is time to make some magic!
1. Go to Haedrig the blacksmith and open your craft window with him.
2. Right click the Plan: Staff of Herding.
3. Search for the recipe under forge weapons.
4. Have all requirements with you, including 50,000g, and click Craft.
Congratulations! You now have the key to the secret level of happiness!
But how do we get to this secret level of happiness?
Having done all of the above, you will have only unlocked the normal version of the secret level, Whimsyshire.
1. Start the quest Return to New Tristram in Act 1.
2. Travel up the road to New Tristram where you first helped the guards in the beginning of the game. Follow the road until you see an opening to your right that is glowing pink. If you walk near it, the Ghost of the Cow King will spawn.
3. Talk to him and he will open up Whimsyshire for you. Enter Whimsyshire by clicking on the colorful canyon.
How to upgrade your Staff of Herding to Nightmare and beyond.
In order to upgrade your staff you need to be on the difficulty you want to upgrade and be on the final quest, Prime Evil, in Act 4 to purchase the upgraded plans. You can purchase the plans from Gorell the Quartermaster in Bastion’s Keep, next to the healer. The plans are cheap while the crafting is not. For Nightmare, it cost me 200,000G to upgrade my normal staff. Fortunately, all you need is your old staff, new plans and a lot of gold to upgrade. This process is the same for all difficulties.
You can run the secret level over and over until your heart is content by resetting the game. I must warn you though, this level can have “weird” effect on your brain as you listen to the music playing backwards and prance around with killer unicorns all day.
If there are any questions I will be happy to answer them at any time. You can also find me in game at battle tag: Vaygah#1170.
Video Walkthrough for Staff of Herding